Saturday, May 20, 2006

Rainy day of shooting

Today was cool- hard but cool. I got a walkie talkie today, which was so cool. One of my jobs was to "Lock down" or "blocker" which basically means to stand at a street corner and tell people either to cross the street, or go a certain way and not to stop and look at the camera. At one point- and dad you can probably relate to this- it was like trying to herd sheep. There was a school just finishing for the day and hundreds of kids and their parents with four ways to walk, I had to make it three. But i got to use my walkie talkie :)

Then it started to bucket down with rain, I went crazy and ran around everywhere moving sets and equipment, ordering PA's to help lift sand bags to bunker down black screens and sun blocks.

I am starting to feel more like i know what I am doing and I don't need to be asked to do something as I already am on it. Although, the one time I am chilling talking to one of the extras (Italian women mind you) I got called out for not helping.

Whenever I can, I watch the monitor so I can see how the director of photography plans and sets up the look of the shot. The crew is cool and it has got to the stage where everyone knows each others names which is good. It seems like I am the only one on set who has cigarettes so I am the go to guy for that. I am wearing, right now, nine layers of clothing because of the rain and wind, should get warmer soon. We have the weekend off so it should be a good one.

I have a dinner tonight, a wedding reception tomorrow and something on Sunday, (I forget what) then we shoot scenes at a club on Monday. I have to recruit extras for that this weekend, partying kind of people, which is cool as it is a great way- "fitties" as my English friends would say.

No comments: